Thursday, August 11, 2011

Jesus is. . .

Before I begin, I need to address my absenteeism from this blog and keeping it up-to-date. Yes, I have been absent! Alright. . .now that that's out of the way, on to the next post.

Aaron and I host house church in our house each Sunday evening. We have between 25-30 people each week. A couple of weeks ago, Aaron and I were having a discussion about what we should study in this Bible study time. We decided to look at who Jesus is, his life, and what that means for us. So, this last week, we had our 3rd lesson along those lines. It was a powerful time of discussion for me, and with a little encouragement from my sister, Karen, who was here for that lesson, I decided to share some of our discussion with you, my blog-reader.

We were looking at the text in Luke 4:31 - 37 in which Jesus drives an evil spirit out of a man as well as Luke 4:38 - 44 in which Jesus goes on and heals many others. We read these stories separately and then finished the sentence, "Based on this passage, Jesus is ____. . ." We had a lot of interaction with lots of responses.

The second thing we did was to think about what that meant for us. For example, if Jesus is compassionate, what does that mean for us. We, too, in an effort to be like Jesus, need to be compassionate. We let people individualize statements about what that meant for them. And, again, we had good interaction and honest reflection.

To wrap up the evening's thoughts and discussion, Aaron read through the list of qualities, characteristics, and titles that we had mentioned about Jesus from the evening. As I listened to this list, tears came to my eyes. That is the God we serve. . . and He is so much more than that! His description cannot be put into words!

I am going to share with you what our church came up with on Sunday night. Maybe you'd like to read through that scripture and share some of your own thoughts about it. And even if you don't share your own, maybe you, too, can be moved as you remember, realize again, or learn for the first time how great God is!

Jesus is. . .
The Authority
Powerful
Son of God
To be obeyed
Incomparable
Miracle Man
Compassionate
Healer
Personal and approachable
Purposeful and has a plan
A Teacher
Loyal
Almighty
Savior
Light of the World

1 comment:

  1. I love thinking of Jesus as the LIGHT of the world!!! :)

    ReplyDelete