Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm Thankful for. . .

Being in Panama and away from the comforts and "security" I'm used to has changed my perspective. I have come to appreciate things in different ways. So, during this time of year as we focus on things we are thankful for, I thought I would do the same through my Panama eyes. Here goes!

1. I'm thankful for Skype. I can talk to family back home without running up a huge bill. Even our $.10/minute Panamanian cell phone can add up a big charge with a good conversation.

2. I'm thankful for Spanish-speaking friends who know to speak slowly and dumb-down anything they're trying to say to me in hopes that I might get it.

3. I'm thankful for mechanics who make housecalls and can teach my husband how to use jumper cables to connect the battery to the glow plugs so we can always start our car.

4. I'm thankful for Chinos/tiendas/kioskos within a couple of blocks where I can buy grocery necessities, but nothing extravaggant.

5. I'm thankful for days of beautiful, warm sunshine after many, many days of torrential rain.

6. I'm thankful for bug spray. . . if only I could remember to use it every day.

7. I'm thankful for Calamine lotion for when I don't remember the bug spray.


8. I'm thankful for friends who own lots of movies and let us borrow many at a time.

9. I'm thankful for my washer and dryer. I saw a Panamanian woman washing individual items of clothing (off a large pile) in a sink yesterday and hanging them to dry, and was re-thankful for my machines.

10. I'm thankful for Google Translator which helps me make some sense in Spanish when I have the time to use it. And for gracious Panamanians who wait patiently while I slowly speak my Spanish phrases.

11. I'm thankful for lush mountain scenery out my kitchen window and for beautiful black beaches which we can enjoy during a day trip.

12. I'm thankful for hiking as a recreation not a necessity. We met a boy 45 minutes into our uphill hike today who still had "un hora mas a mi casa" (1 hour more to my house). We headed down at that point.

13. I'm thankful for Denise who watches out kids for a couple of hours a week so Aaron and I can have a break from being with them. When you homeschool and don't have a mall or stores to just run in to just look around, you don't get much a break from your kids.


14. I'm thankful for the senses of humor of my family.

Aaron. . . well, most of you know him.
Mylen cracks me up with his sarcasm and funny expressions.
Aivlyn has really begun to get into role-playing and can take it to an extreme.

15. I'm thankful for family and friends who plan on visiting. It gives me something to look forward to.

16. I'm thankful for working appliances and a good landlord who replaces them quickly when they stop working.


And on a much more serious note. . .

17. I'm thankful for a God who can bridge gaps of culture and language to bring people together in Him.

18. I'm thankful for the invitation to come directly to God himself anytime with anything on my mind.

19. I'm thankful for the guardian angels God has given to watch over me and my family.

20. I'm thankful for the hope that I have in my Savior, Jesus.

21. I'm thankful that I am a child of The King of Kings!

Gracias, Padre, por todo lo que haces por mi! Thank you, Father, for everything you have done for me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm thankful for friends to share life's laughter, tears, fears and joys with.

    ReplyDelete