Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Another Round of Sorting and Packing

It seems like all summer long we've been sorting, sifting, storing, and stuffing our "stuff." And it doesn't seem to be ending.

About a year ago, when we really began thinking seriously about this international move, we started purging. We got rid of loads and loads of our "stuff." We even had a garage sale on our own. Then in the spring, we joined the neighborhood garage sale with quite a bit of luck in lightening our load. And finally, right before our move to Bandera, we had an auction to get rid of all our stuff. We moved, got a storage unit (for the "keeper" of all our stuff), and moved into my parents house. As we unpacked, we sorted again. And now, as we pack everything we want to take with us to Panama (including Mylen's school work) into 4 suitcases, we are sorting and purging yet again.

A couple of things I've learned about me and my "stuff" through all this.
- I have SO much stuff.
- I don't use my stuff as much as I think I do.
- As much as I don't want to be, I am pretty attached to my stuff.
- In fact, I have found that there is a bit of security and identity that I have placed in my stuff.
- I don't NEED nearly as much stuff as I have.
- It is hard to part with some "stuff" items.

This process of sorting, purging, storing, etc. has made me really look at myself and more importantly, the role my stuff plays in my life. Aaron and I have dissected and discussed the feeling we have each had as we have gotten rid of or given away certain items in our collection. And as I have gotten rid of stuff, I have felt a sense of freedom from it, almost a sense of being released. Apparently, my stuff controlled me more than I realized. Yuck!

One thing I have realized to an even greater extent: I don't want my identity, security, or anything other significant part of me to be tied to my stuff. I want those things to be tied ONLY to GOD!

2 comments:

  1. Well said Janet! Although, I am thankful for your sewing machine that I used today. :) Luv ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True wisdom. I have the urge to purge right now.

    ReplyDelete